Why are we doing it?
The way in which clubs and communities are delivering sport today is changing. With increasing popularity and growth, regional organisations, clubs and community groups are looking to provide stronger pathways to connect people to sports, recreation and active lifestyles.
The Akarana Marine Sports Charitable Trust aims to provide a safe and well informed environment in which people (tangata) can have fun, grow and explore some of NZ’s key taonga (treasure) – our moana (sea) and our whenua (land).
Okahu Bay has a rich historical and cultural presence on the Auckland waterfront. The new facilities preserve this history as well as enhancing the vibrant environment that is Okahu.
To provide a pathway to the sea.
- To integrate with schools, other clubs and community groups to increase participation
- To create opportunities for healthy, active lifestyles in the community
- To capture and enhance the passion for marine activity both competitively and socially
- To ensure the financial sustainability of associated clubs and organisations
- To help our valuable asset, Okahu, realise its full potential.
- Improve Education – Actively promote and provide sports education, water safety, recreation and leisure opportunities.
- Grow Participation – Provide a safe and well informed environment in which people for all ages and stages can grow and explore in and around the sea.
- Provide Active Entertainment – Establish a significant and safe community centre for water and multi-sport activity for leisure, training and competitive purposes.
- For the Community – An accessible and inclusive destination that people want to engage and connect with.